If you have any questions, please contact Jordan@FirstTeeTriangle.org
WHAT IS CERTIFICATION?
Certification is a multi-part process that all participants go through to demonstrate they are ready to move to the program’s next level.
First Tee program is not a race to the finish line! The curriculum is intentionally designed for students to have multiple exposures at each level. It is expected that many students will not be old enough to advance after just one session. First Tee — Triangle intentionally includes practice certification days into our lesson plans in order to prepare your child for what they can expect. We encourage you to work with your participant outside of class time practicing these components so they are ready when the time comes to certify.
HOW CERTIFICATION WORKS
Students must meet ALL the following criteria before advancing to the next level.
- Minimum Age – Each student must meet the minimum age requirement.
- PLAYer: 7 Minimum age to start. Must be 9 years old to move to Par. Certification not required to enter PLAYer.
- Par: 9
- Birdie: 11
- Eagle: 13
- ACE: 14
- Minimum Session Requirements:
- PLAYer: 9 and under must take PLAYer twice, while 10 and up are required to take it a minimum of one time.
- Par: Children who are 10 or younger must take Par twice. Children 11 or older must take Par a minimum of one time.
- Birdie: All eligible participants must attend 3 sessions at the Birdie level.
- Eagle: All eligible participants must attend 3 sessions at the Eagle level.
- Rounds of Golf: All children who wish to certify must meet the minimum rounds of golf requirement
- PLAYer: One 9-hole round. No required score or yardage, but you must turn the scorecard in at certification.
- Par: One 9-hole round. Score must be 72 or under and must have a minimum distance of 1,500 yards. You must turn the scorecard in at certification.
- Birdie: Five 9-hole rounds. Score must be 63 or under and must have a minimum distance of 1,900 yards. You must turn the scorecards in at certification.
- Eagle: Ten 18-hole rounds. Score must be 108 or under and must have a minimum distance of 5,000 yards. You must turn the scorecards in at certification.
- Written Assessments – Each student must pass two written tests – one life skills and one golf skills. The written tests will focus on information covered in class and in their Yardage Books. This includes: core values, life skills, golf etiquette and golf rules. Tests require a score of 80% or better to be considered passing. Should a child not reach a passing score on the first attempt, a second opportunity will be made available.
- Yardage Books – Each student should complete their yardage book in its entirety. Questions should be answered thoroughly and thoughtfully. Yardage books will be checked and then given back for future review/reference.
- Golf Skills Demonstration – Each student will be required to demonstrate minimum levels of proficiency in regards to their golf abilities (putting, chipping, and full swing).
- Coach Recommendation – Each student must receive a recommendation from their current level coach before advancing. If a student’s coach does not feel they are “ready” to advance, they will not be allowed to move on. Chapter staff will communicate directly with coaches to determine which students are able to advance.
- Volunteer Requirement (Birdie, Eagle, & Ace) – Volunteer hours are completed on a per calendar year basis and may be fulfilled at or away from The First Tee of the Triangle. Requirements are as follows: Birdie: 5 hours, Eagle: 10 hours, Ace: 15 hours.
- Advancement – Once a participant has met all of the above criteria they will be moved up to the next level. The participant will attend her/his new class at the beginning of the next season.
Upcoming 2021 Certification Dates:
Certification Post Fall Session:
Saturday, March 6th – 9:00AM – Knights Play Golf Center